Monday, February 23, 2009

No worries, mate

So.... a lot has happened since my last post.

1. I am moving out of my apartment. For reasons I'd rather not talk about, I am moving to my own place. I will have my own room, living room, kitchen and bathroom for about the same price.

2. "O" week started yesterday. I've been in and out of sessions for the past 2 days. Yesterday, I had a 4 hour orientation for international students and boy, was I itching to get out of there! It's so hard to spend time inside when it's so beautiful outside!

Speaking of outside, I went to the beach at South Bank over the weekend. I got SO sunburned. I honestly look like a lobster and I can't sit or sleep on my back. I've put aloe vera all over myself in hopes of controlling the constant burning.

As I've spent some time wondering around Brisbane, I've realized that this is my ideal place to live. First of all, as I've mentioned numerous times, it's beautiful. There are trees and wildlife all over the place. I've had some pretty startling run-ins with possums and big fruit bats...but besides that, it's so nice to wake up and hear the birds chirping. Also, Brisbane has the city feel, without all the pollution and people. It's like living in Chicago, in Hawaii. Brisbane is also very big on recycling. They use all recycled water in the ponds and all the plastics bags are biodegradable. At the grocery store, you don't see anyone getting plastic bags because you have to pay for them. I love that the city is so clean and beautiful, yet there's so much to do.

This weekend 6 of us are going to the Gold Coast. I am hoping to take some surfing lessons, or at least watch the surfers at the beach. School starts next Monday, so I want to have as much fun as possible before the works starts.

I miss you and I'll try to blog more often.

Lauren