Saturday, May 23, 2009

May Days

Hey Everyone,


I've been hearing some complaining (cough cough) that I haven't updated my blog enough.  The reason I haven't updated my blog is because I wanted to spend some good quality time in Brisbane after traveling so much during April.  

The stuff I am going to talk about is more about how I'm feeling right now, and less about the cool stuff I've done (since I haven't really done much).  I have about a month and a half left in Brisbane, 7 days of school, and one more big trip planned. As my time disappears, as well as all the money in my bank account, I'm starting to dread the day I have to leave.  I'm not sure why I am (un)anticipating my departure so prematurely- it probably has something to do with the fact that all my other study abroad/college friends are going home now.  Or, it might be that I've had the last month to really think about leaving/get to know some amazing people.

So, to try and ease my anxieties about going home, I'm trying to focus on living life in the present.  Like really, really, really trying hard to do it.  At times it helps, and other times, I just feel like I'm fooling myself.  But at this moment, it's a comforting state of mind to be in.

Anyway, on a more Aussie note, I've done some cool stuff in the past month.  The first was going to see a Rugby League game.  I saw the Australia Kangaroos against the New Zealand All Blacks.  It was really awesome!  The New Zealand team did an intimidation dance at the beginning called a haka (Māori traditional dance).  It was so cool to watch!  

The weekend after, my friend Deyan came to visit.  We met on my tour of The Great Ocean Road.  It was a good weekend.  One of the days we spent on Stradbroke Island with Karen and her friend-it was beautiful!







Another random side note-this spider decided to have babies on my ceiling. I was definitely way too scared to kill them but finally vacuumed them up.  Alex's sister was nice enough to empty the vacuum dirt outside of my apartment because I didn't want to!


Lastly, this past week I did some pretty cool things.  I had an all-day field trip to the Australia Zoo on Thursday.  I got to see lots of animals-dingos, crocs, tazzie devils, camels, and I got to feed an elephant!  It was a long day, but pretty cool to see all the animals.  On Saturday, I went to the Sunshine Coast with Alex, his sister and Nicolas.  It was beautiful and so nice to just lay on the beach and hear the waves.  Although it was freezing(I was wearing my Northface jacket over my swimsuit) the water was very refreshing to jump into.  The only bad part about going to the Sunshine Coast was that it was a 5 hour return trip.  Yikes!  And finally, yesterday I went to the Brisbane Botanical Gardens with Mila.  We really wanted to go to Mt Coo-tha, but it was closed for some car race.  Of course! The day I want to go it's closed :(

Anyway, I only have this last week of class left (the beginning paragraph was a little older) and then finals in 2 weeks.  I'll try and make my life more interesting so these posts get better!

g'day