Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Australian Way

There are a couple of things I was hoping to blog about in the entry, so I'll try to cover it all.  

Topic 1: New apartment! Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures.








Topic 2:
Sunday is my one-month anniversary of my arrival in Australia, and over the past 4 weeks, I've come to appreciate the Aussie way.  Some things include:

1. Victoria Bitter-EVEN if Matias calls it "bogan juice"  It's cheap and tasty!


2. Tim Tams. A chocolate biscuit made by Arnott's Biscuits, Australia.  Two layers of chocolate malted biscuit, separated by a light chocolate cream filling, and coated in a thin layer of chocolate.
3. The fashion. Everyone wears such cute (and much less) clothing!  Big belts, high waisted everything, cute shoes and short-shorts are definitely in.  It makes sense to wear less clothing because of the heat, and because everyone is in amazing shape...

Gladiator sandals


Short Dresses/big belts
High waisted short-shorts


4. Burger Urge.  They are extremely healthy and the meat is high quality and inexpensive.   They put so many yummy vegetables on it- I feel like I'm eating a salad!

Topic 3: Classes.

My classes started this week.  Luckily, I only have class Tuesday-Thursday so I get a nice 4-day weekend.  I am taking:

Australia's Terrestrial Environment
This class is going to be awesome.  We are learning about the history of the biology of Australia.  I get to go on two fieldtrips to the zoo and rainforest.  It's apparently fairly easy, so it will be a nice class.

Australian Popular Culture
Once again, this class is going to be fairly easy.  The majority of students are from the states, so we are all in the same boat.  During our first class, we watched the opening and closing ceremony of the Sydney Olympics.  It was cool to see the different elements of Australian culture in the ceremony.

Statistics for Economists
Apparently this is a very challenging class.  I was not very happy to hear about that, but I need it for credit.  

Economics of Natural Resources
I believe this class is going to be really interesting.  It's small-there's probably only about 25 of us in it.  I sat next to Alex, a french exchange student last class.  Funny story about him actually.  We were listening to the professor talk when he whispers "what is lumber?"  In his accent, I was having a lot of trouble understanding him.  I thought he was asking for my number and I managed to make a FOOL of myself.  Great...

Overall, I think I am going to really enjoy my classes.  We don't have a lot of homework, so I'll have plenty of time to continue my adventures!

I'll try and blog some good stories-for now, I'm just enjoying the sun and getting my new apt. settled.

xoxo